ParaNet is deeply indebted to, and a little honored by, user Bill
Cooper of Fullerton, California, for this, the first known report
of a multiple military witness sighting that occurred onboard the
submarine USS Tiru in 1966.
                              --Jim Speiser
In 1966 during the month of the Rose Festival in the Pacific
 Northwest United States, the USS Tiru SS-416 left Pearl
 Harbor bound for Seattle Washington.  The sub moored to a
 civilian pier near the downtown Seattle area and thousands
 of people toured the sub during its stay in Seattle.  After
 its duty as "showboat" it proceeded to a back bay area
 where it underwent torpedo trials.  I believe the area was
 called dabob bay [pronounced day-bob] but I am not sure of
 the spelling.  I include the above information because it
 should be easy to research.  During the cruise from Pearl
 to Seattle five of the crew had a very unusual experience.
 During one late afternoon the sub was cruising on the
 surface at approx. 10 knots when the port lookout reported
 a strange contact at a range of 2 miles bearing 315 degrees
 relative.  The lookout refused to tell the OOD what it was
 that he had seen and instead insisted that the starboard
 lookout and the OOD both look at that area.  The three men
 looked through their binoculars toward the area reported
 and were astounded to see a metal craft larger than a
 football field tumble from the clouds into the ocean.  It
 actually tumbled end over end and when it hit the water and
 sank beneath the ocean huge geysers of water rose into the
 air.  When the port lookout was sure that the others had
 seen it he then told the OOD that he had seen it tumble
 from the ocean up into the clouds.  The OOD and the
 starboard lookout were speechless.  Within a few minutes,
 however, they all became excited when it again rose from
 the water and tumbled up into the cloud layer.  At about
 the same time a crew member below queried the bridge about
 a radar contact at the same range and bearing.  Sonar also
 reported strange echos.  The OOD called for the Captain to
 come to the bridge at that time. He also called for the
 camera to be sent to the bridge.  The Captain arrived on
 the bridge within 2 minutes and the Chief Quartermaster was
 right behind him with the camera. At about the same time
 the object emerged from the clouds and fell down into the
 ocean.  All five men witnessed this.  The QMC took pictures
 as it rose up into the clouds and then back down into the
 ocean once again.  The five men watched for quite a while
 longer but nothing else happened.  Soon the sub had moved
 out of visual range and the Captain told all witnesses that
 they were never to discuss what they had seen with anyone
 under any circumstances.  He stated that the incident was
 classified information.  The Captain then went below and
 sent a radio msg.  There was no doubt as to what we had
 seen.  It was a metal craft with machinery on and around
 the outside of it.  It appeared to have windows or lenses
 placed around its perimeter.  It made no noise that we
 could hear.  It did not disturb the subs electrical systems
 nor did it affect the gyro compass.  It looked very much
 like a round flying "ship" as in sea going ship.  It had
 the shape and form of a saucer with a bowl inverted in the
 saucer and it was huge.  I will never forget it as long as
 I live. When I first saw this craft I believe that my heart
 literally stopped beating and I was terrified.  The name of
 the OOD was Ensign Ball.  The starboard lookout was an
 American Indian seaman that the crew called Geronimo. The
 port lookout was a new man who left the sub soon after the
 return to Pearl Harbor and his name was Cooper.  I do not
 remember the Captain's name nor the Chief Quartermaster's
 name.  This is the first time I have ever mentioned it
 since the moment that the Captain told me that it was
 classified. As far as I know it has never been reported to
 the public before this instant.  It should be easy to
 verify the facts if you can get a copy of the log and/or
 contact the other witnesses.  The names should not be too
 hard to find in the ships records/logs.  I was the port
 lookout.  I must say that I feel a great uneasyness in
 posting this, much like the way I felt in Vietnam when my
 life was in great danger.